Follows nets OT winner for Excelsiors

Photo by Eric Graham

Henry follows played the role of hero, scoring in overtime to give the Brampton Excelsiors a 11-10 victory over the Brooklin Lacrosse Club Thursday night at the Brampton Memorial Arena.

The Excelsiors got on the board first when Bowie Horsman converted a James Whiteford feed at 5:07, but was answered immediately by Tanner Buck finishing a Cole Hanrahan pass 0:41 seconds later. The Excelsiors regained the lead when Pent Eistrat converted a Josh Medeiros pass at 6:35, but again was answered by the Kodiaks when Emerson Clark scored unassisted at 7:03.


Cobourg took their first lead of the night when Clark scored his second of the game off a Carson Moyer pass in transition at 13:29, followed by David Anderson blasting a Marshall Powless feed at 19:57 on the power-play.

The Kodiaks opened up the second period scoring while down two men. Moyer, with a great individual effort finished a  Buck pass at 3:51. The Excelsiors stopped the Kodiaks four-goal run when Lucas Ferreira scored on the power play off a Bowie Horsman pass at 10:04.

The game got chippier as it went on with Lucas Nagy and Clark getting into a scuffle at 14:19. Nagy got a match penalty, while Clark got a double minor for checking from behind, a five-minute fighting major, a 10-minute misconduct, as well as a game misconduct.

The Excelsiors drew first blood with Steven Portelli scoring off a Matt Perreira pass at 0:34 seconds to bring the game within one goal. Then, on a two-man advantage, the Excelsiors tied the game with Portelli scoring again off a James Whiteford feed at 6:35. Brampton took the lead with Curtis Goddard converting a long lead pass from Caleb Slinger at 7:46, followed by Tyler Ferreira finishing off a Follows pass at 0:39 seconds later. Josh Medeiros scored unassisted and the Excelsiors were ahead 8-5.

Cobourg got on the board with Carson Moyer scoring off a Jonah Boehm pass at 9:56, but James Whiteford answered for Brampton with a blast off a Henry Follows pass at 11:34. Moyer scored again for the Kodiaks followed by Marshall Powless converting an Aaron Woods pass at 13:16. Tyler Hendryks then tied the game off a David Anderson pass at 18:17. 

Anderson himself gave the Kodiaks the lead off a Powless feed at 19:00, but Portelli’s third of the period with just one second remaining in regulation sent the game to overtime.